Inflation Shows Signs of Easing in Q4
Following a year of rapidly increasing prices, inflation eased in the last quarter of 2022. The Consumer Price Index rose 0.1% in November, with a 0.4% increase in October. Year-over-year, the index increased 7.1% before seasonal adjustments, the slowest 12-month pace since December 2021. The easing inflation comes as the Federal Reserve continues to pursue rate hikes, increasing rates at the fastest pace since the 1980s.1
U.S. Consumer Confidence Rises in Q4
The consumer confidence index, which measures U.S. consumers’ attitudes, buyer intentions, and consumer expectations for inflation, stock prices, and interest rates, rose in December to 108.3, following declines in November and October. Consumer confidence in December is at the highest level since April 2022. The increase is from consumers’ favorable outlook on the economy and job market, in addition to inflation expectations which have declined to their lowest level since September 2021.2
Budget-Constrained Consumers Generate Drop in Retail Spending
Retail spending in November dropped 0.6% from the preceding month, the most significant monthly decline this year, per the U.S. Commerce Department. Retail sales grew 6.5% year-over-year, the slowest yearly growth since December 2020. The decline is a result of budget-constrained consumers with holiday-related purchases, home projects, and autos choosing to hold back spending. Meanwhile, spending on everyday items, such as food and healthcare products, increased in November, signaling consistent demand for services amid rising prices.3
Kroger and Albertsons Companies to Merge in $24.6 Billion Deal
Kroger and Albertsons Companies announced a definitive agreement to merge in October. Under the agreement, Kroger will acquire all outstanding shares of Albertsons at $34.10 per share for a total enterprise value of $24.6 billion, including the assumption of ~$4.7 billion in net debt. The combined supermarket behemoth would have $209.8 billion in annual revenue and $11.6 billion in EBITDA. In addition, Albertsons Companies is preparing to form a spin-off company, SpinCo, to operate as a standalone public company which is estimated to keep 100 to 375 stores, subject to the store divestiture process, as well as pay a special cash dividend of up to $4.0 billion to its shareholders. 4
Largest Transactions Closed
- Terminix Global Holdings, Inc.
- Rentokil Initial plc
- Tenneco Inc.
- Apollo Global Management, Inc.
- Substantially All of the Assets of Peninsula Pacific Entertainment LLC
- Churchill Downs Incorporated
- The Mirage Casino-Hotel LLC
- Seminole Hard Rock International, LLC
- SuperATV, LLC
- Dorman Products, Inc.
- Island Global Yachting LLC
- MarineMax, Inc.
- Varroc Lighting Systems, Inc.
- Compagnie Plastic Omnium SE
- Four Seasons Resort and Residences Jackson Hole
- Host Hotels & Resorts, Inc.
- Ned Stevens Gutter Cleaning & General Contracting, Inc.
- The Jordan Company, L.P.; Cobepa S.A.
- Orscheln Farm and Home LLC
- Tractor Supply Company
Other Financial Buyer Transactions Closed
- Four Seasons Resort Scottsdale at Troon North
- Braemar Hotels & Resorts Inc.
- StoneMor Inc.
- Axar Capital Management LP
- Pan Pacific Hotels and Resorts Seattle Limited Liability Co
- KHP Capital Partners
- Hotel Monaco Denver
- Crescent Real Estate LLC
- The Muse hotel
- The Chartres Lodging Group, LLC
Other Strategic Buyer Transactions Closed
- SIRATA BEACH RESORT LLC
- Columbia Sussex Corporation
- Pala Interactive LLC.
- Boyd Interactive Gaming, L.L.C.
- CarLotz, Inc.
- Shift Technologies, Inc.
- Four Seasons Hotel Nashville
- GD Holdings LLC; Stonebridge Development Co.; Copford Capital Management LLC
- Certain Assets of Electric Last Mile Solutions, Inc. and Electric Last Mile, Inc.
- Mullen Automotive, Inc.
This report represents transaction activity as mergers & acquisitions, consolidations, restructurings and spin-offs. Targets are defined as U.S. Based companies with either foreign or U.S. based buyers. Transaction information provided is based on closed dates only.
EBIT - Earnings Before Interest and Taxes