Grocery Inflation Expected to Slow in 2023
U.S. Grocery prices increased 12.0% since the beginning of the year through November. Price increases in 2022 resulted from poor weather conditions, diseases, and supply chain bottlenecks from the Ukraine conflict. Grocery prices are expected to remain high in 2023, though the USDA expects price hikes will cool off by at least 3% next year as overall inflation lowers. Overall inflation in November was 7.1%, the lowest level since December 2021. 1 2
Investment in Agriculture Technology to Increase
The Food and Agriculture Organization estimates that a 60% increase in global food production will be needed by 2050 to support population growth. Global agricultural technology spending is expected to triple in revenue by 2050 to facilitate the required growth for the sector. Precision agriculture tools to limit fertilizer waste are expected to be a primary investment focus for the industry in 2023.3
Farming Profits on Track for 50-Year High
Net farming income in the U.S. is forecasted to reach $160.5 billion in 2022 as increased prices have boosted profitability in the industry. The USDA estimates farmers’ earnings have increased by over 14% ($20 Billion) since last year. Price increases were driven in part by tightening supply amid drought and geopolitical unrest. Expect prices to remain above historical levels in 2023 as international supply and export pressures drive prices higher.4
Bird Flu Sends Egg Prices to Record Highs
The worst outbreak of Avian Influenza in U.S. history has contributed to egg prices rising more than 86% in 2022, more than any other supermarket food this year. According to the USDA, more than 5% of egg-laying chickens died since January 2022, reducing the population to approximately 308 million. The average U.S. egg prices per dozen were $3.59 in November compared to $1.93 in January.5 6
Largest Transactions Closed
- Gavilon Agriculture Investment, Inc.
- Viterra Ltd.
- Significant Portion of Meal Preparation business of TreeHouse Foods, Inc.
- Wilderness Trail Distillery, LLC
- Davide Campari-Milano N.V.
- Business and Assets of Imperial Sugar Company
- United States Sugar Corporation
- Pride Convenience Holdings, LLC
- GPM Investments, LLC
- Wetzel's Pretzels, LLC
- MTY Franchising USA, Inc.
- Denali Ingredients, LLC
- Orkla Food Ingredients AS
- Nestlé's Gateway infant formula plant in Eau Claire, Wisconsin
- Perrigo Company plc
- The Collection at Forsyth
- CTO Realty Growth, Inc.
- Rowe's IGA Supermarket
- Massy Stores (USA) LLC
Other Financial Buyer Transactions Closed
- Sunflower Business of SunOpta Inc.
- Pacific Avenue Capital Partners, LLC
- Dispensary in Ohio
- NewLake Capital Partners, Inc.
- 82 Acres of Farmland in Edgar County, Illinois
- Farmland Partners Inc.
- KabaFusion, LLC.
- Novo Holdings A/S
- Lipari Foods, LLC
- Littlejohn & Co., LLC
Other Strategic Buyer Transactions Closed
- Coastal Holding Company, LLC
- TPCO Holding Corp.
- Kohana Coffee, LLC
- Westrock Beverage Solutions, LLC
- Infusionz, LLC
- Bloomios, Inc.
- All Assets of Production Facility Located in Verona, Virginia
- BioSteel Sports Nutrition Inc.
- This Bar Saves Lives, LLC
- GOOD Worldwide Inc.
- Canopy Monterey Bay, LLC
- DEP Nevada Inc.
- CraftedPlants NJ, Inc.
- DEP Nevada Inc.
- Elev8 Hemp, LLC
- Apple Rush Company, Inc.
Source S&P Capital IQ as of 1/9/2023 and PCE Proprietary Data
This report represents transaction activity as mergers & acquisitions, consolidations, restructurings and spin-offs. Targets are defined as U.S. Based companies with either foreign or U.S. based buyers. Transaction information provided is based on closed dates only.
EBIT - Earnings Before Interest and Taxes