U.S. Consumer Confidence Rebounds Slightly in March
The U.S consumer confidence index experienced a slight recovery in March after declines in the previous two months, reaching 104.2, up from 103.4 in February. The index measures consumers' attitudes, buyer intentions, expectations for inflation, stock prices, and interest rates. The rise in consumer confidence is attributed to improved expectations for the economy. Although the index rose in March, it remains below the average level of 104.5 in 2022.1
Annual Inflation Climbs 6% Since Last Year
The CPI rose 0.4% in February and 6% from a year ago, in line with expectations. The drop in energy prices helped keep inflation in check, while shelter costs increased sharply, accounting for over 60% of the total CPI increase. Excluding food and energy, core CPI rose 0.5% in February and 5.5% on a 12-month basis. The report raises concerns about the potential for sustained inflation, particularly as supply chain disruptions and labor shortages persist.2
U.S. Retail Sales Dip in February 2023 Following January Surge
US retail sales fell 0.4% in February 2023, lower than the anticipated 0.3% decline, following a 3.2% surge in January, the most significant gain since March 2021. Furniture stores (-2.5%), restaurants (-2.2%), and miscellaneous retailers (-1.8%) experienced the most significant declines, while non-store retailers (1.6%), health (0.9%), and food and beverage stores (0.5%) saw growth. Excluding autos, sales fell 0.1%, while core retail sales rose 0.5%. Sales are not adjusted for inflation.3
Retailers Put Pressure on Suppliers to Lower Costs
Changes in consumer spending and persistently high supply chain costs stemming from the pandemic are shifting the relationship between retailers and suppliers. Walmart, Whole Foods, and other major companies are pressuring suppliers to lower prices or even canceling orders for products ranging from clothing to appliances. As shortages ease and supplier-buyer dynamics return to pre-pandemic norms, retailers are leveraging their scale and buying power to gain greater control of their supply chains.4
Largest Transactions Closed
- Vivint Smart Home, Inc.
- NRG Energy, Inc.
- Poshmark, Inc.
- NAVER Corporation
- VIA Motors Inc.
- Ideanomics, Inc.
- Operations of MGM Resorts Mississippi, Inc.
- Cherokee Nation Entertainment, LLC
- Horizon Global Corporation
- First Brands Group, LLC
- Assets of Transit Energy Group, LLC
- GPM Transportation Company, LLC; GPM Southeast, LLC; GPM Investments, LLC; GPM Empire LLC; GPM Petroleum, LLC
- Clean Uniform Company
- UniFirst Corporation
- Dream Hotel Group, LLC
- Hyatt Hotels Corporation
- Volta Inc.
- Shell Oil Company
- Streamsong Resort
- Lone Windmill LLC
Other Financial Buyer Transactions Closed
- New York Marriott East Side
- Värde Partners Europe Limited; Hawkins Way Capital, LLC
- The Camby in Phoenix
- KHP Capital Partners
- AC Hotel Phoenix Biltmore
- Nella Investment Advisers
- Hotel Colonnade Coral Gables, Autograph Collection
- Crescent Real Estate LLC
- Ocala North RV Resort, LLC
- DLP Capital LLC
Other Strategic Buyer Transactions Closed
- 16 Marriott-branded hotels in United States
- NewcrestImage, LLC; Hospitality Capital Partners, LLC
- Ace Group International, LLC
- Sortis Holdings, Inc.
- Flooring Liquidators, Inc.
- Live Ventures Incorporated
- AC Hotels by Marriott
- OTO Development, LLC
- Carson Toyota, Inc.
- Fletcher Jones Automotive Group
- Minneapolis Marriott Southwest, Inc.
- MN Opus VII LLC
- Candlewood Suites
- Low Income Housing Institute
- Boardwalk Inn & Suites
- HLOM, LLC
- Treasure Bay Resort & Marina
- Equity Management Partners, Inc.
- WoodSprings Suites
- DEA Jacksonville LLC
- Comfort Suites near Indianapolis Airport
- Singh Estate LLC
- Things Remembered, Inc.
- 1-800-FLOWERS.COM, Inc.
- Baby Dolls Of Dallas Inc
- RCI Hospitality Holdings, Inc.
- Super 8 Motel In Gulfport, Mississippi
- Shreeji Hotels LLC
- Beach Road Fish House & Oyster Bar, Inc.
- Corner Lot
- BurgerFi International, Inc.
- Lionheart Equities, LLC
- Belami and Confero
- SKYX Platforms Corp.
This report represents transaction activity as mergers & acquisitions, consolidations, restructurings and spin-offs. Targets are defined as U.S. Based companies with either foreign or U.S. based buyers. Transaction information provided is based on closed dates only.
EBIT - Earnings Before Interest and Taxes